The CEOs of companies in our portfolio, some Brightspark alumni, and other members of our family.
Recognized globally as one of the digital industry’s top leaders, Allen Lau is a seasoned investor and entrepreneur.
These days, he keeps busy as CEO and co-founder of Wattpad, a mobile app that transforms the way millions of people around the world discover and share stories. Through its Wattpad Studios division, the company co-produces stories for film, tv, digital, and print platforms with partners in the entertainment industry.
Along with his wife, Eva, Allen also founded Two Small Fish Ventures. Their goal is to support the local startup ecosystem through investments in Toronto and Waterloo-based early-stage internet companies.
Prior to Wattpad, Allen worked at Delrina and Symantec, and was an architect at Brightspark before he started his first company, Tira Wireless. Tira was one of Toronto’s first software start-ups devoted to mobile entertainment. There, Allen developed products for companies such as Disney, Time Warner and Sony. He also co-founded FeedM8, a mobile advertising company that was acquired by Upstream Systems in 2008.
Awards and accolades:
- Member of the Fierce 15 (one of the top 15 wireless startups)
- 3G CDMA Industry Achievement Award for Innovative Entertainment Technology by
- CDMA Development Group
- Recognized as one of the fastest growing technology companies by Deloitte in its
- 2006 and 2007 Technology Fast 50 award program
- CIX Top 20 People’s Choice, Digital Media, 2011
- KPMG Canadian Startup Awards, Best Overall Startup, 2011
- PWC Innovator of the Year, 2012
- Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year, 2012
- Book Industry Study Group, Disruptor Award, 2013
- Digital V.I.P Innovation Award, 2014