We are on the hunt for an Accountant to join our team!
Brightspark is looking for a full-time accountant to join our Montreal team. This is a great opportunity for either an exceptional bookkeeper looking to take root in a fast-growing organization, or a hungry junior accountant who is up for the challenge of building our accounting function from the ground up. In this role, you will have the opportunity to take on more responsibilities over time, and grow with the firm.
About the position
We have been scaling our investment platform for two years now. Since that time, we have grown our team to 11 people, our network to 3,000+ investors, and our deployed capital to 20M+. We process over a hundred financial transactions a month, and produce over a thousand financial documents a year. And because we are only getting started, these numbers will continue to grow exponentially! Therefore, our team is building the proper tech, finance, and legal infrastructure to support this growth.
We are looking for someone who will structure and maintain our accounting processes. The position will be a diverse role with a core focus on day-to-day accounting and back-office. As our accountant, you will be working directly with the Montreal Managing Partner, Investment associate, and the Fund operations manager. We are an energetic, diverse team working from Espace CDPQ, Montreal’s new VC hub.
We consider each other family, and we guarantee a work environment where every day is rewarding, where new challenges continuously roll in, and where work-life balance is cherished.
- Maintain Brightspark’s accounting records on a day-to-day basis
- Handle account payables and process payments to suppliers
- Reconcile bank and credit card statements to the general ledger
- Post and process journal entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded
- Manage banking related inquiries including depositing investor cheques
- Assist in month-end/year-end process for Brightspark’s multiple entities
- Oversee document management and execute different types of data entry
- Document processes to strengthen financial controls
- Support the venture capital funds back-office team
- Partake in quarterly reporting
- Perform office management and misc tasks as assigned
- BS degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business Administration
- 1–3 years minimum of relevant work experience performing and supporting accounting functions; ideally for a high-velocity startup company or an investment fund, or experience in a Big 4 setting with such clients
- Solid understanding of basic accounting principles
- Strong skills with MS Excel and Google Sheets
- Proficiency in English and French (written and spoken)
Bonus points if you have:
- A CPA, or are currently pursuing a CPA designation
- Experience with Xero or a similar cloud accounting platform
- A Genuine interest in venture capital and/or fintech
- Basic knowledge or experience in investment compliance
This position will be a perfect fit if you are:
- Tech savvy and comfortable using many web apps as part of your work.
- An advocate for the digital revolution in accounting. We are always looking to automate redundant tasks and streamline processes using technology.
- Pro at bank reconciliations, and not scared of (sometimes) messy books!
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, and accurate.
- Self-driven, resourceful and a problem solver by nature.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Flexible and adaptable — everyone on our team gets to wear many hats, and so will you.
Up for the challenge?
Send your resume, and a short summary of why you want to work with us to: email@example.com.